Monday, August 16, 2010

Explaining My Frustration

In an email sent earlier today to Pundette I told her that I am having a hard time blogging because I am extremely frustrated.  Ross Douthat, writing in the New York Times, only served to up my frustration level with this (emphasis added):

This is typical of how these debates usually play out. The first America tends to make the finer-sounding speeches, and the second America often strikes cruder, more xenophobic notes. The first America welcomed the poor, the tired, the huddled masses; the second America demanded that they change their names and drop their native languages, and often threw up hurdles to stop them coming altogether. The first America celebrated religious liberty; the second America persecuted Mormons and discriminated against Catholics.
What an amazing man this Mr. Douthat is!  He and I have never met yet he knows my heart.  As a member of the "second" (or is it second class?) America, I am crude and my motives are xenophobic.  I assume the onus falls on me to disprove the negative.

But I can't disprove the negative and therefore my opinions are discounted.  How convenient for Douthat that he never has to deal with opinions with which he disagrees.  He simply slaps on the racist label and poof!  Convenient for him, frustrating for me.

Cross posted at Pundit & Pundette

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

First, don't let anyone from the NYT affect anything you think or feel.

They'll be the first to be eaten by the zombies in zombie movies my son likes, or the first to starve because they don't know how to survive on their own.

They are fools. Fools when they get up, fools when they talk to their equally foolish circle of friends and will go to bed tonight still foolish.

All that time, we'll be the ones holding the line, standing in the breach. It is their lot as it is ours.

Have faith, be safe.

RW/archer52