Senators Tom Coburn, M.D. (R-OK) and John McCain (R-AZ) have released their latest report on that monumental waste of taxpayer's money known as "The Stimulus". Here is a little peek of where your money went (with my personal favorites in bold):
• $554,763 for the Forest Service to replace windows in a closed visitor center at Mount St. Helens
• $762,372 to create “Dance Draw” interactive dance software
• $62 million for a tunnel to nowhere in Pittsburgh, PA that even Governor, Ed Rendell called “a tragic mistake”
• $1.9 million for international ant research
• $1.8 million for a road project that is threatening a pastor’s home
• $308 million for a joint clean energy venture with…BP
• $89,298 to replace a new sidewalk that leads to a ditch in Boynton, OK
• $3.8 million for a “streetscaping” project that has reduced traffic and caused a business to fire two employees
• $16 million to help Boeing to clean up an environmental mess it created in 2007
• $200,000 to help Siberian communities lobby Russian policy makers
• $39.7 million to upgrade the statehouse and political offices in Topeka, Kansas
• $760,000 to Georgia Tech to study improvised music
• $700,000 to study why monkeys respond negatively to inequity
• $193,956 to study voter perceptions of the economic stimulus
• $363,760 to help NIH promote the positive impacts of stimulus projects
• $456,663 to study the circulation of Neptune’s atmosphere
• $529,648 to study the effects of local populations on the environment…in the Himalayas
If they would have just asked I would told them what voter perceptions of the economic stimulus are. Most of us think it sucks. But beyond that, none of the above projects even appear to be designed to stimulate the economy or create jobs. The Dems in Congress could have done just as much good had they thrown the cash down from the top of the Empire State Building.
I'm going to keep this list handy. One or two of them will be on the sign I'll be carrying at my next Tea Party event. I'm going to email them to my soon to be ex-Rep Kathy Castor and ask her for an explanation. I'd like to hear from her why she thinks I should vote for someone who has been so careless with my money.
The Dems have shown that they can not be trusted. Remember that, and this list, in November.