Friday, September 17, 2010

Krauthammer wants to win unless it means backing O'Donnell

Writing in the Washington Post, Charles Krauthammer repeats his words from his appearance on the O’Reilly Factor last night:

If DeMint and Palin want to show that helping O'Donnell over the top -- she won late and by six points -- wasn't a capricious spreading of fairy dust, perhaps they should go to Delaware now and get her elected to the Senate.

You made it possible. Now make it happen. I would be happy to be proved wrong about O'Donnell's electability -- I want Republicans to win that 51st seat. Stay in Delaware and show us you were right. The beaches are said to be lovely in the fall.
Absolutely right-DeMint and Palin should help O’Donnell out in Delaware. So should Krauthammer. If I am understanding his position, he is saying that we Republicans have a duty to the party to ignore our conscience and vote for the most conservative candidate who is electable. In fact, I believe that I have been reminded of “Buckley’s Rule” at least fifty times in the last week. Unfortunately, Mr. Buckley is not here to ask if his rule still applies when the most conservative candidate electable is, say, about as conservative as Alan Grayson. But beyond that, who gets to decide who is electable? I thought it was the voters but suddenly I am not so sure.

In any case, Krauthammer claims that he wants to see a Republican takeover of the Senate. If this really is the case, shouldn’t he now be supporting O’Donnell with every fiber of his being? Remember, it is all about “The Party”, conscientious objections do not apply.

Granted, I do not have Krauthammer’s vast experience but I have been able to pick up on some hints that Christine O’Donnell is most certainly electable. The Dems, rather than talking about Stimulus, are prattling on about stimulation. If reaching back to the 90’s to find O’Donnell talking about masturbation doesn’t smack of desperation I don’t know what does.

Deeming O’Donnell unelectable assumes that people in Delaware prefer to pay high taxes, prefer government intervention to self-determination and prefer the collective to the individual. That may turn out to be the case but it is not a foregone conclusion. Dr. Krauthammer is a man of considerable oratory talents. He should put those talents to good use and help us get O’Donnell elected. Surely he would rather O’Donnell win the seat than Coons. Wouldn’t he?

Side note:

No one likes to lose but losing is much, much worse when your own side throws the game. I want to win on immigration but I’ve already got to worry about Graham, Snowe, Collins and McCain (yeah, I know, McCain has changed his position. I’ll believe it when it is put to the vote). I’d much rather take my chances trying to get someone like O’Donnell elected who I know will vote responsibly than back someone like Castle who I know will screw me over the first chance he gets.

No comments: