Saturday, July 31, 2010

Help a Friend

Stacy McCain has put an SOS for conservative blogger Stogie.  Sadly, Stogie's plight is all too common these days.  He is in his fifties and college educated.  He has worked his entire life but now his job is gone.  He has gone through his savings and tapped out all his resources and now he is facing the loss of his home. 

I don't talk about my job in detail but here goes.  I work for a credit union whose membership is only open to members of trade unions-IBEW, Operating Engineers, Plumbers and Pipefitters, etc.  Unemployment in my county (Hillsborough, FL) is at twelve percent.  Obviously the membership and I are not politically on the same page.  None the less, I love my members and their families. 

Unemployment among our membership is rampant.  In the last few months I have seen and heard it all.  Because of our mission and our leadership, my credit union works with people when any other financial institution would have taken their home or their car.  As depressing as my job can be, I feel proud to be part of a team who helps individuals in need.  Which brings me back to Stogie.

Stogie needs help.  He has done all the right things in his life and through no fault of his own is facing the loss of everything.  I can't help everyone and neither can you, but I did visit Stogie's site and I did hit his tip jar. Please do the same.

A little musical inspiration:



I saw the play Hair in London when I was fifteen years old.  Almost four decades later I still love that song.

No comments: