Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Sport of Suing and other threats to free speech

Welcome to all Blazing Cat Fur readers and thank you to Mr. Cat Fur for the link.

It seems that Blazing Cat Fur has committed the ultimate Canadian offense-he's caught the attention of Richard Warman.  For those of you unfamiliar with Mr. Warman, he's a weaselly snailslime of a man who makes his living suing people for sport.  Nice gig if your the type who gets off by ruining other's lives just for shits and giggles.  A quote from Warman's Wiki entry:

I’ve come to the conclusion that I can be most effective by using what I like to describe as a “maximum Disruption” approach … I’ll look at all the potential targets and file complaints against them starting on a “worst offender” basis, although sometimes if I just find people to be particularly annoying this may move them up the list a bit. The “maximum disruption” part comes in because wherever I think it will be most helpful, or even if I just feel it will be the most fun, I strongly believe in hitting on as many of these fronts as possible either at the same time or one after the other. I say this because it keeps them off-balance and forces them to respond to things that focus their energies on defending themselves.
Mr. Cat Fur found himself in Warman's cross hairs because he linked approvingly to Mark Steyn.  Warman really, really doesn't like Mark Steyn:

WARMAN WATCH

During my battles with the Canadian "human rights" regime, we relentlessly exposed the corrupt relationship between the Commissars and Canada's self-appointed Hatefinder-General, Richard Warman. See here and here, among many other places. I also spoke about him when testifying to Parliament. Almost as soon as the truth about his Nazi website postings became known, Warman began suing. He sued Ezra Levant, with whom I'll be appearing on Saturday, as well as Kate McMillan, Kathy Shaidle, Free Dominion and anyone else who got in his way. At the time, many people asked me why he hadn't sued me, both for columns that appeared in Maclean's and for posts such as this one at SteynOnline.

So basically, since Warman can't touch Steyn he is playing "Whack a Proxy" and using Canada's legal system to do it. 

You can find more at American Power, POWIP, five feet of fury, Gates of Vienna, Patterico's Pontifications and Jay Currie.  Above all, throw some money in BCF's tip jar to help with his legal costs and never forget how precious our First Amendment is.

No comments: