Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Taking "Context" Out Of Context

Kyle Munzenrider, of the Miami New Times "News" has a problem with Marco Rubio. Rubio made the following statement when asked about Sonia Sotomayer’s nomination to the Supreme Court:

"The role of the Supreme Court is to interpret the Constitution, not to make law. Given this, I am deeply concerned about Judge Sotomayor's past comment that the courts are 'where policy is made' and look forward to hearing her explanation and defense of that view."

Muzenrider, accuses Rubio of taking Sotomayer’s words out of context, and gives his readers the quote in question,

"All of the legal defense funds out there, they are looking for people with court of appeals experience because the court of appeals is where policy is made. And I know this is on tape and I should never say that because we don't make law. I know. OK, I know. I'm not promoting it. I'm not advocating it. I know."

It is Muzenrider who is attempting to take the quote out of context. The context, caught on tape, is Sotomayer’s “…(nudge, nudge) I’m not promoting it (wink, wink). I’m not (giggle) advocating it. (giggle) I know (giggle, giggle, nudge, nudge).”

Muzenrider’s post is accompanied by a photo shopped picture of Rubio wearing a Sgt. Shultz type helmet with his eyes crossed. Charming. In a bizarre twist of ‘so which is it’ after he explains that Sotomayer wasn’t advocating judicial advocacy he admits that she was but that’s okay because the Legislative branch can be a little fuzzy.

Between now and November, 2010, Rubio will take a lot of hits from the press. That is just the way it is. Hopefully those hits will be a bit more responsible than what we are seeing from Muzenrider.

No comments: