Monday, December 6, 2010

Eventually they grow up

My son turned thirty today. My Dad put a hammer in J’s hand the moment he was big enough to hold it and that was it. When asked, “What are you going to do when you grow up?” the answer never changed, “I’m going to build tall buildings.” I used to dream about “my son the architect”. Nope- the operative word turned out to be build not design. He’s an ironworker.


I was disappointed, actually devastated, when he decided against college. But he loves his job, loves his life and he makes a pretty darned good living. I’d rather see him happy in the career of his choosing then miserable in a career that he felt he had been pushed in to. Besides, recently he has talked about taking some business and construction management courses to prepare himself for owning his own business.

In any case he has become a fine young man and I am very proud of him. I hope I can be forgiven if I’m also sad that he’s no longer a little boy.

Today is also Reagan McCain’s birthday. She’s a cutie, Stacy. They really do grow up so fast.

1 comment:

Laura Castellano said...

I know what you mean. I have a son who is career Army. He has wanted to join the Army since he was very small. At first I ignored it, thinking he'd change his mind a million times as he grew, then when he hit sixteen and was still determined, I tried to talk him out of it, and finally I accepted that it's his life, and this is what he wants to do with it. That's hard for moms to do, but like your son, he is very happy in his profession, so I'm happy for him. I just wish it didn't involve so much WORRY on my part.