Monday, July 6, 2009

Were People Just Not Listening?

I think the thing that has gotten me the most since Gov. Palin’s announcement that she would give up the governorship is the speculation. Why is it so hard to except the reasons gave at face value? Thank God for Robert Stacy McCain, who gets it:

I've got MSNBC on my office TV and the mid-day newsette just referred to Palin's "baffling" resignation. It's not baffling. Palin explained her reasons, and her reasons sounded entirely plausible to me. What baffles the pundits is the fact that it was (a) unexpected, and (b) doesn't fit the established script for presidential hopefuls.

The people who pronounce themselves "baffled," and who conclude that Palin has made a stupid move by resigning, are leaving a couple of things out of their calculations. First, Palin is a Christian who, in the past, has made straightforward reference to the will of God. What she believes -- what she must believe -- is that if it is God's will that she become president, she will. Therefore, the conventional wisdom of the commetariat and all the advice from political "experts" are just so much noise to her.

Second, Palin's closest adviser is her husband, Todd. He is not stupid. He is also not a man who will show up on TV and blabber his every thought for the sake of creating the impression that he knows everything.

Just because you don't know what Sarah Palin is doing doesn't mean that she doesn't know what she's doing.

Look, Sarah wasn’t speaking French, though I don’t doubt that establishment types would have preferred it, she was pretty clear about her reasons. She has good reasons and she is handling the situation in a (trolls, sit down and grab a paper bag to breath in to) logical, professional and intelligent manner.

I’m not going to go through all her stated reasons, but I do want to touch on the reason I admire most. She said it wasn’t her style to accept a paycheck for a job that she wasn’t giving 100% to. She could have kicked back and accepted a check, others have done it. But the Left and tied her, and Alaska, with expensive, time consuming and bogus ethics investigations. Fifteen times they tried and fifteen times they failed. In the meantime, Alaska spent over two million dollars on this vindictive foolishness and the Palin’s have spent five hundred thousand dollars of their own money. And the only way to end it was for Palin to step down. She didn’t have to, she could have collecting those paychecks but that would have been counter to her values.

I also believe that if it is God’s will, Sarah will continue and become stronger. If it is His will, she will be President. I learned the hard way that I can’t impose my will on God, so I’ll hang in there. But if I’m allowed, against the conventional wisdom of my betters, to express optimism, let me just say, “I feel good.”

No comments: