Saturday, April 11, 2009

When Does The Constitution Not Apply?

I'm no scholar, constitutional or otherwise, so I wonder if there is someone out there who could explain this to me.

In my simple world view the First Amendments guarantee of free speech means that I can say what I want, where I want, when I want. Ta Da! It is a basic concept that has worked beautifully since my country's founding.

So why would anyone want to fix what ain't broken? In a time when parents have to mortgage their homes to pay for their children's education why are they sending their young people to colleges and universities that stifle free speech? We hear so much about having a "well rounded" education, but isn't the free exchange of ideas central to that?

Society has the means to deal with true hatemongers. If someone on campus is spewing hateful or demeaning speech they will be either be engaged or ignored. Again, ta da!

Speech codes are counterproductive. Parents and students should oppose them.

h/t kae

2 comments:

smitty1e said...

I'm no scholar either, but I'm a couple hundred pages into http://www.amazon.com/Americas-Constitution-Akhil-Reed-Amar/dp/0812972724 and can recommend it.

Carol said...

Thank you smitty1e, I'll take your advice.