Sunday, August 16, 2009

GEICO's Response

I sent my insurance company, GEICO, an email regarding their decision to pull their advertising from the Glenn Beck show at the behest of the group Color of Change, founded by convicted felon and White House Green Jobs Czar, Van Jones. GEICO's decision not to respond to me speaks to my worth to them as a customer. Duly noted. However, they did send out a response to some customers and I came across one at Bear Creek Ledger, which reads in part:

Thank you, first of all for your business and also for your interest in this matter.

This week we took action to move our marketing messages from the Glenn Beck show and you are wondering why. Well, you deserve an answer. If the inflammatory nature of the comments on a program overshadows our message and causes GEICO to be drawn into a national debate, we are likely to reconsider where we place our marketing messages, which is what we did.

GEICO delivers very important messages through its major marketing campaigns: we’re saving customers’ dollars, we’re easy to do business with, we’re looking out for our policyholders. That’s what we hope the public hears and sees and focuses on. As a company, we do not take positions on controversial issues. As an advertiser, while a national debate on issues can be healthy and appropriate, we don’t see ourselves in the role of taking part in those debates.

"As an advertiser, while a national debate on issues can be healthy and appropriate, we don’t see ourselves in the role of taking part in those debates." Well, by pulling their advertising aren't they clearly "taking part in those debates"? Effectively, they are taking sides.

My policy will renew shortly. I have a good driving record and an excellent credit score. I don't need GEICO. I would be willing to bet that there are alot of people like me who can, and will, take their business elsewhere. I am sorry that Color of Change thrust GEICO in to a position that they clearly did not want to be in, but I am more sorry that GEICO decided to cave without any thought to the customers who support them.

Read the entire back and forth at Bear Creek Ledger here.

No comments: