Saturday, March 27, 2010

Paul Ryan: Looking 'Presidential'


Via Instapundit:

'People who know Paul Ryan say he will be president one day’

Okay, it’s time to talk about Paul Ryan. The headline quote is from Mark McKinnon, who thinks Ryan is the real deal. Check out Ryan’s list of simple, effective, liberating proposals.


Ryan fans describe him as Jack Kemp on steroids. He believes that unbridled individual initiative, innovation, and industriousness lead to competitive advantage and national greatness.

Ryan outlined bold and muscular policy prescriptions for America’s most pressing problems in his “Roadmap for America’s Future.” Among the things his plan would do:

• Simplify the tax code: 10 percent of incomes up to $100,000 for joint filers and $50,000. for single filers; 25 percent on higher incomes (or you can continue to pay under current system). No deductions.

• Eliminate taxes on interest, capital gains, dividends and death.

• Preserve Medicare and Social Security benefits for anyone currently 55 or older, but replace Medicare benefits for people under 55 with a voucher that would average $11,000 a year that people could use to buy private insurance.

• Achieve universal access to affordable health care with guaranteed refundable tax credits ($2,300 for individuals, $5,700 for families) for portable coverage in any state.

• Allow workers 55 and under to invest more than one-third of Social Security taxes in personal retirement accounts.

• Raise the retirement age. Finally, we’ve got a politician bold enough to propose this obvious solution.
By reading my posts here, here, here, here and here, it becomes obvious that I am a Paul Ryan fan.  He is young, dynamic, intelligent and he doesn't have a RINO bone in his body.  Better, he is willing to state the politically unpopular without hemming and hawing.  His "Roadmap for America’s Future" was immediately panned on the Left.  Their objections to the solutions put forward by Ryan can be summed up in two words:  it's mean.  Pardon me while I go grab a hanky.  When faced with a debt load that will equal 90% of GDP in ten years,  feeding the public marshmallow pies isn't going to cut it. 
 
I haven't decided who I'll vote for in 2012.  I am concentrating on 2010.  I will say that Ryan is exactly the kind of candidate I am looking for.  When I hear that he is making a speech in Iowa I'll start thinking about President Ryan.
 
Read more.

2 comments:

One Ticked Chick said...

I'm with you, Carol. Ryan showed his mettle throughout the ObamaCare debacle. He offers the kind of change I can believe in.

Quite Rightly said...

Me too. The future under the dems looks so bleak and chaotic, I just want to go galt. But with Ryan at the helm, I think we'd have a good chance to pull our country back together.