Friday, January 29, 2010

Happy Birthday to me!

Today I am the big five two.  I suppose this means that I am firmly middle aged though I don't think of myself that way.  I am growing old(er) in a fairly dignified manner and I really don't mind the passage of time.  I don't have as many friends as I did when I was young(er) but the bond I have with my friends is stronger now. 

I like being the mother of adult children and I like being a grandmother.  I like that when I look at my son and daughter I think to myself, "you done good."  The sense of accomplishment I have far outweighs any regrets that my life doesn't even barely resemble the plans I had at twenty. 

I thought it would never happen but I am pretty sure that I have finally grown up.

9 comments:

No Sheeples Here! said...

Carol,

Best wishes on your birthday. I hope your special day brings you great joy.

Take care.

BoR said...

Happy Birthday!

CGHill said...

There's a lot to be said for being fairly dignified. (I don't pull it off so well, despite being older than you are.)

Carol said...

Thank you all. A few years ago I would have partied the night away on my birthday. Now it is a single bottle of beer and a early night.

Obi's Sister said...

Well then you and I were born on the exact same day!!!! I am the big five-two today.

Where were you born? I was born in Atlanta, GA during the first snow storm in a decade. Figures.

Carol said...

Obi's Sister, Happy birthday! I was born in Detroit. Today is the first of two celebrations. The next one is on Feb. 9th. That's the day by parents walked in to the Methodist Children's Home and walked out with a daughter.

yukio ngaby said...

Belated happy birthday! Best wishes and many more!

*heh* The word verification for this comment is "goolini." That sounds like a really awful pasta.

jill said...

Happy Birthday and my God continue to bless you!

Bob Belvedere said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Linked to at: Cleaning Out The Cache