Saturday, February 6, 2010

If you throw a rock at a pack of wild dogs, the one that yelps...

People are throwing stones at Rajendra Pachauri, head of the IPCC (which according to Doug Ross stands for International Panel on Climate Crime), is starting to get a might testy.  Note this from the Ace of Spades:

"Dr." Pachauri: Hey, Those Who Claim I Profited From IPCC Decisions Should Rub Asbestos on Their Faces (And Die of Cancer)

Rajendra Pachauri, the besieged head of the U.N.'s International Panel on Climate Change, told the Financial Times on Wednesday that he is the victim of a "carefully orchestrated" campaign to block climate change legislation.

"I would say [there are] nefarious designs behind people trying to attack me with lies, falsehoods," he told the paper, swatting away allegations that his India-based climate institute, TERI, has benefited from decisions made by the IPCC, which he also chairs.

Climate change skeptics "are people who deny the link between smoking and cancer; they are people who say that asbestos is as good as talcum powder," he said.

"I hope that they apply it (asbestos) to their faces every day."
Well, that is kinda mean.

Look, I barely made it through physics in college.  Science is not my thing.  However, I did manage to stay awake through a couple of my classes and I seem to remember that skepticism is crucial to good science.  Beyond that, when people start making ridiculous statements such as comparing Global Warming skeptics to Holocaust deniers or that skeptics believe that asbestos is as good as talcum powder then I know that the speaker is on shaky ground. 

The truth is, Global warming adherents don't want to talk about facts.  If you ask a disciple about previous warming periods they are likely to change the subject altogether.  A week ago I actually had someone respond to my question by launching into a weird ramble about our "illegal" invasion of Iraq.  Global warming/Iraq???  Um, wouldn't it have been just as easy to admit that he didn't have the answer rather than making an ass of himself by going off the deep end over something totally unrelated?

People have a perfect right to know what relationship exists between Pachauri's enormous wealth and his position as head of the IPCC.  Methinks that his answer belies a man with something to hide.

No comments: