Sunday, June 7, 2009

Spying Is Not Legitimate Dissent

JammieWearingFool, weighing in on the whole "The Spy Who Did't Love Us" thing quotes Myers:

"I have become so bitter these past few months. Watching the evening news is a radicalizing experience," he wrote in his diary in 1978, referring to what he described as greedy U.S. oil companies, inadequate health care and "the utter complacency of the oppressed" in America. On a trip to Cuba, federal law enforcement officials said in legal filings, Myers found a new inspiration: the communist revolution.

And asks:

Who was president in 1978? Who controlled Congress and the Senate in 1978?

The year 1978 was certainly a transformative time for me. I was living in Turkey, had just given birth and Jimmy "boycott the Olympics" Carter was president. When my (then) husband and I returned to the United States we discovered gas rationing, exorbitant interest rates and a soul stifling "national malaise." Funny, looking back, I don't recall spying on my country for a repressive communist dictatorship, being a consideration. I did decide that if I did't like the direction was taking I should work to change it. Step one for me was changing my party affiliation to "Republican."

Walter Kendall Myers and his wife, much like Bill Ayers, had no intention of improving their country. They were out to destroy it. They possess a smug, elitist disdain for our country that has become much too common place of late. How their case plays out will say a lot about the true character of the current administration.


UPDATE: The Daley Gator has a keen insight gleaned from Babalu:

de la Cruz points out the irony that a couple of privilege, privilege gained here, in America, somehow learns to despise the country that allowed them their prosperity. It is truly mind boggling isn’t it? So many affluent Liberals, rather than celebrating the country that enabled them to be rich, instead loathe America. Some, like these two traitors, even seek to destroy America

No comments: